Saturday, September 1, 2012

School

Ever since my 20 week ultrasound when we found out our July baby (Jackson) was going to be a boy, we knew we would "hold him back" a year in school. So Jackson is 5 now but won't start kindergarten until next year. We have chosen not to put our children in preschool for several reasons. One of which is I am a stay at home mom with a degree in early childhood education. Another is cost. I love having my kids home with me and spending our time learning and playing together! I don't think there is a right/wrong or good/bad choice here. Keeping our kids home just works well for our family. Anyways, now that Jackson is 5 we are going to do some more structured learning this year. Since I will probably blog about different activities we do throughout the year (and for my own records), I wanted to share what we will be using this school year.

Saxon Math K
Manipulative Kit for Saxon Math K-3
Even though this is technically a kindergarten program, it is quite simple.  (When I taught 1st grade in NY we used Saxon 1. It was way too easy for my 1st graders.) There aren't any worksheets at all. The entire curriculum is hands-on. Perfect for my very active little boy! (I plan to let Ben play along with us as much as he wants!)

Handwriting Without Tears
HWK

This is a multi-sensory program that my boys will love! Jackson will have a workbook. Ben will not. They will both have fun building with the wood pieces, learning the fun songs, and making letters with playdough, shaving cream, salt, etc.!  (Note: if the workbook is too frustrating for Jackson, we will just put it aside and try again when he's a little older.)

Sonlight Core P4/5 with Grade K Readers










PMSP

I could not be more excited about this program! It is all books! There is a handy parents guide to make my life easier. I really think my boys will love this. I plan to include Ben as much as he wants to be included. I think he'll be interested in reading the books with us but probably not in the extension activities. Jackson will eat this up!

I am super excited  to start this "school" journey with my kiddos. If anyone has used these programs and has advice or suggestions for me, please let me know! :-)

 Disclaimer: With a 5 year old, a 3 year old, and a 7 month old, our main priority is not academics. We strive to "train up our children in the way they should go." We are more concerned about teaching Godly character at this age. I am a big believer in learning through play. I also know that my boys NEED lots of outside/active time. (I just don't want you to think we plan to sit at the table for 8 hours a day!!!)


3 comments:

The Crazy Castros said...

Mary Beth I love love love this;))
We did preschool for Mya but opted out for both Emmy and David!! So glad we did I am working w David at home and he will start K next year too;)

Wendi said...

Loved chatting about this with you the other day. And I'm excited to read about your journey on your blog {and in person}. :) Hope your weekend has been productive!

Lynn said...

So excited for you Marybeth. I just found through a friend's pinterest and I'm always looking for kindergarten ideas. This one is... www.notimeforflashcards.com. I originally saw a post for prewriting activities